There are over 200 Million migrants around the world today. 85 million of these come from East Asia. OMF Diaspora ministries seeks to reach out to these East Asian People who are scattered around the globe, living outside their home countries. This means reaching Mainland Chinese in Canada, Japanese in Germany and Thais in Australia. As the people of East Asia move around the world we will seek to reach them with the life-saving message of Jesus Christ so that they can return to their home country and take the gospel to their friends and families. Where will your love for the East Asians take you?
Canada’s per-capita immigration rate is the world’s highest. Visible minorities account for 14 percent of the total population, rising to 42 percent in Vancouver and 47 percent in Toronto. More than two million East Asians live in Canada, and more than half are ethnically Chinese. Furthermore, Canada hosts more than 60,000 international post-graduate students each year. Ministry to internationals can make a strategic Christian impact on our world. As a senior Chinese official recently declared, “We are sending thousands of our best students overseas into your care. They are truly China’s treasures!” God has brought some from around the world to our doorstep. We are Christ’s hands when we reach out and love them in His name.
What becomes of tomorrow will depend to a very large degree on what becomes of the many students studying overseas today. Many will be future leaders in their home countries. What if some of them come to know Christ while abroad? Many are doing just that - how can you be involved?
Our vision is to see a worldwide movement of East Asians discipled to build up the body of Christ among their own people - and beyond!
Our mission? To glorify God as we:
- Evangelize and disciple strategic East Asian peoples scattered globally.
- Prepare returnees for ministry among their own people and others.
- Equip other Christians to do the same.
Where will your love for East Asians take you? We are looking for people called by God to join our team reaching out to these scattered — in Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America — as volunteers or as fulltime career workers. Learn more about how you can be involved:
Some Ways To Welcome our Diaspora in Canada
• Start a Bible study for international students.
• Attend international holiday events (e.g., Chinese New Year, Japanese Spring Festival, Oktoberfest) and meet people.
• Host events to celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, Canada Day, etc.
• Adopt a Newcomer to Canada.
• Offer English classes for internationals through your church.
• Offer students help with rides for groceries and other errands.
• Host an “Around Town” event: take internationals new to your area on a tour of different points of interest.
Media & BooksGreat resources available from OMF.
View and Purchase